Contacting the police

You can contact North Yorkshire Police by phone, post, email or in person.

Before you do, we may be able to answer your query online. Click the button below to launch AskNYP.


Call 101 - for all non-emergencies

For general enquiries (for example, to contact an officer or police station) or to report an incident that does not require immediate attention, dial 101. Calls are charged at 15p.

After dialling 101, you will be given four options:

  • Press 1 to report a crime, incident, or to provide information. (You may be placed in a queue - if so, please stay on the line rather than redialling).
  • If you know the name of the person or department you want to speak to, press 2. Ask for the person by their first and last name, without their rank. Please note for security reasons, some people cannot be asked for via 101.
  • To speak to a custody suite, press 3.
  • For lost and found property enquiries, press 4.

To contact North Yorkshire Police from outside the force area, call 01904 618691.

If you are calling us from outside the UK, dial +44 1904 618691. Make sure you dial the international prefix first (so in most European countries, dial 00 44 1904 618691, or in North America, dial 011 44 1904 618691).

Call 999 - in an emergency

You should only dial 999 if:

  • There is danger to life
  • There is the use, or immediate threat of use, of violence
  • There is serious injury to a person and / or serious damage to property
  • A crime is, or is likely to be serious, and in progress
  • An offender has just been disturbed at the scene
  • An offender has been detained and poses, or is likely to pose, a risk to other people
  • A road traffic collision involves, or is likely to involve, serious personal injury
  • A road is blocked after a road traffic collision, or there is a dangerous or excessive build up of traffic

(Emergency health services in York and North Yorkshire will respond to drug overdose calls for help without routinely notifying the police).


Send enquiries to - please include as much detail as possible in your message, including:

  • First name
  • Second name
  • Date of birth
  • Home address, with postcode
  • Contact phone numbers (home / work / mobile):

If you prefer, you can email your local Safer Neighbourhood Team directly.

Email addresses for specific requests - for example those relating to Freedom of Information or firearms information - can be found on this website. You can search or use the sitemap to quickly find what you are looking for.


The postal address for Headquarters is:

North Yorkshire Police
Newby Wiske
North Yorkshire

You can find addresses for other police stations on our police stations page.

Reporting hate crime

Hate crimes are based on ignorance, prejudice and discrimination, and have no place in our society. A hate crime is any crime which is perceived by the victim or any other person to be motivated by prejudice or hate. There are many different ways to report a hate crime.


Textphone 18001 101 - for all non-emergencies

To contact an officer, police station, or to report an incident that does not require immediate attention or for general enquiries. This service is provided by the RNID Text Relay service and is suitable for people who have a hearing or speech impairment.

Textphone 18000 - in an emergency

If there is a crime in progress or if there is a threat to life. This service is provided by the RNID Text Relay service and is suitable for people who have a hearing or speech impairment.


The emergencySMS service lets deaf, hard of hearing and speech-impaired people in the UK send an SMS text message to the UK 999 service where it will be passed to the police, ambulance, fire rescue, or coastguard. Register your mobile phone now; don't wait until you need the emergencySMS service.

Easy Read - Dyslexia

We have created an Easy Read poster using a font (OpenDyslexic) to improve readability for people with dyslexia: pdf icon In an emergency, dial 999 (Easy Read & Dyslexia) [441kb]. If you know of anyone who might benefit from a copy of this poster, please print it out for them.


You can view this website in a variety of languages. See our site translation page for more information.

Local authority issues

Some issues in your neighbourhood may be better dealt with by your local council than by the police.

Commendations and complaints

Our Professional Standards Directorate is responsible for the investigation of all public complaints, whether they are made about Police Officers, Police Staff or Special Constables. As well as dealing with complaints, the PSD is also able to accept and pass on commendations. For more information, please visit the Complaints and commendations page of our website.