Home > Access to information > Subject access request

Subject access request

If you wish to know what personal information is held about yourself on the Police National Computer (PNC), which includes court convictions, police cautions and juvenile warnings/reprimands, then you will need make an application to the Association of Chief Police Officers Criminal Records Office (ACRO) directly. Police Certificates for Visas will also be processed by ACRO.

For further details on requesting PNC information, please see the ACRO website here.

Update March 2020: Please note that although every effort will be made to ensure a response is provided within statutory deadlines, due to current circumstances delays may be unavoidable. We apologise for any inconvenience and will endeavour to process your request as quickly as is practicable.

Local Subject Access Request

To make a local subject access request, please read the following information and then complete the Subject Access Request form at the bottom of this page.

Details of application

Under the Data Protection Act 2018, individuals have the right to obtain:

  • confirmation that their data is being processed;
  • access to their personal data; and
  • other supplementary information – this largely corresponds to the information that should be provided in a privacy notice

The Subject Access provisions of the Act give an individual the right, subject to certain exemptions, to have a copy of any personal data held about them.

The Chief Constable will only give that information if he/she is satisfied as to your identity. He/she does not have to give you any information if someone else can be identified from it unless that person agrees. If you think that information might be held about you, which may identify another person, you may want to get that person’s agreement to you being given the information and send it with your application. The Chief Constable may apply exemptions to the release of law enforcement data if the data would prejudice the prevention, detection or investigation of a crime, or if the information is likely to cause substantial harm and distress to an individual.

If you wish to know what personal information (if any) North Yorkshire Police holds about you, such as crime reports, statements, officer reports, criminal files or photos then you will need to make a local subject access request online by clicking here.

Your request will be processed within one month of receipt of a valid request.

Where requests are complex, or numerous, then your request may be extended by a further two months, but you will be advised if this is necessary.

If the request is manifestly unfounded or excessive we may charge a reasonable fee taking into account the administrative costs of providing the information or refuse to respond. If we refuse your request we will explain the reasons why and inform you of your rights to complain.

Proof of Identity

Before your request becomes valid, North Yorkshire Police needs to be satisfied that you are the person you say you are. To help establish your identity your application must be accompanied by two different official documents, which between them clearly shows your name, current address, DOB and signature (e.g. passport, driving licence, birth certificate, medical card or utility bill). You will need to submit these with your completed form, or upload them if you are making an application online.

Requests in relation to children

Children aged 13 or over are able provide their own consent, therefore they will be able to make their own subject access request. For children under this age, you will need to provide proof of parental responsibility if you are requesting information on behalf of your child.

Information regarding collection and processing of your personal data can be found within the Privacy Notices held on the North Yorkshire Police website via the following link.

Subject Access Request form[pdf]