Home > News > News stories > Statement regarding protest in York

Statement regarding protest in York

Last modified: 15 June 2016 at 01:00pm

Just after 3pm on Saturday 28 May 2016, police in York responded to a disturbance near York Minster involving a group of protestors and members of the public.

Officers were monitoring a far right protest involving around 30 to 40 protestors when altercations broke out between members of the public and the protestors.

Police officers quickly brought the situation under control and arrested four of the protestors and one member of the public.

The rest of the protest group, who are believed to have travelled from various areas of the country, were escorted back to York railway station by police officers to prevent any further disturbances.

Enquiries into the incident will continue to identify any further offences and officers have not ruled out making any further arrests.

Superintendent Dave Hannan of North Yorkshire Police, said: “Everyone has a right to peaceful and lawful protest, however, the police will not tolerate racist, offensive or violent behaviour. The situation was soon brought under control with offenders arrested and the remaining  protestors escorted out of the city. Detectives will continue to investigate the incident and will take action against any further offences they identify as a result of their enquiries.”

The arrested men include a 25-year-old man from Weymouth who was arrested to prevent a breach of the peace and for failing to supply his details. A 25-year-old man from West Bromwich on suspicion of racially aggravated public order offence. A 31-year-old man from Horley, Surrey on suspicion of using threatening words/behaviour. A 21-year-old man from Swansea on suspicion of a public order offence and a 27-year-old man from York on suspicion of using threatening words/behaviour.

28 May 2016


UPDATE regarding arrests

The 27-year-old York man has been released without charge.

The men aged 21 (from Swansea) 31, (from Horley, Surrey) and 25 (from West Bromwich) have all been released on bail while enquiries continue.

The 25-year-old from Weymouth was given a caution.

29 May 2016

Posted on in News stories