Home > What we do > Victims and witnesses: how we handle incidents > Advice for victims

Advice for victims

On this page you can find out what happens if you have been a victim of crime, and the support you can expect to receive.

How should I expect to be treated?

Under the Code of Practice for Victims of Crime, victims of crime have twelve rights. The code outlines the minimum levels of support that victims of crime should expect to receive from the police and other criminal justice agencies and to make sure they have access to the best possible support when they need it. The rights are applicable to victims of all criminal offences.

The twelve rights are;

Right 1 – To be able to understand and be understood.

Right 2 – To have the details of the crime recorded without unjustified delay.

Right 3 – To be provided with information when reporting a crime.

Right 4 – To be referred to services that support victims and have services and support tailored to your needs.

Right 5 – To be provided with information about compensation.

Right 6 – To be provided with information about the investigation and prosecution.

Right 7 – To make a Victim Personal Statement.

Right 8 – To be given information about the trial, trial process and your role as a witness.

Right 9 – To be given information about the outcome of the case and any appeals.

Right 10 – To be paid expenses and have property returned.

Right 11 – To be given information about the offender following a conviction.

Right 12 – To make a complaint about your rights not being met.

What if I am under 18?

If you are a victim under the age of 18 your parent or guardian will be automatically entitled to an enhanced service under the Code of Practice for Victims of Crime. 

You will also receive support directly if consent is given from your parent or guardian.

Will I be kept informed about the investigation?

Yes, the officer in your case will agree with you when and how often you will be updated, this includes which method, for example if you have requested to be update via email or a telephone call. You will receive updates if an offender has been found/arrested/charged.

Will I have to give a statement?

You might be asked to give a statement to a police officer. This is called an evidential statement, which tells the story of what has happened to you. Later in the investigation process, you might also want to complete a Victim Personal Statement (VPS). The VPS is a voluntary written account of what impact the crime has had on you, whether physically, emotionally, psychologically, financially or in any other way. It is your chance to explain all of the effects in detail and can form a vital part of the evidence to be used if the case goes to court. When the officer in the case meets with you they will go through the VPS process with you.

Will I have to go to court?

If the offender is charged to appear at court following a thorough investigation, and you have given a statement as a victim or witness then yes, you might have to go to court. The Witness Care Unit at North Yorkshire Police will inform you if this is the case.  You can find out more about the Witness Care Unit on the advice for witnesses page.

Can I claim for compensation?

You might be able to claim for compensation in a number of ways. This will be explained to you by the officer in your case and the Witness Care Unit.

Supporting Victims Service

The Supporting Victims in North Yorkshire service provides help to victims in a number of different ways, to help them to cope and recover from the impact of crime. Experienced victim care co-ordinators offer advice and guidance for victims of crime via a dedicated telephone service. Supporting Victims can also refer victims to additional specialist services, aimed specifically at victims of sexual or domestic abuse, those who have suffered as a result of serious crime, people who have been persistently targeted and those feel vulnerable or intimidated as a result of criminal activity.

Whilst most of the people referred into the service will come from the police and other public sector agencies, members of the public can call Supporting Victims in North Yorkshire directly if they have been a victim of a criminal offence and need help – even if they have chosen not to report the crime to the police.

Visit Supporting Victims for more information. Or call 01609 643100.


You can find more information here;

Booklet Information for Victims of Crime 2021-03-25